Asbestos Abatement

Asbestos is a threadlike mineral fiber that is found worldwide in certain rocks. It was used in many building products because of its fire resistant and binding capabilities.In 1978 Federal EPA mandated that asbestos could no longer be used in the manufacturing of building products made in the USA.  One would think that any building constructed after that date, would be asbestos free, but many contractors were allowed to deplete their stocks, and given the fact that so many products of foreign origin contain asbestos, the rule of thumb does not hold true.If you are planning any remodeling, you should have all materials tested for asbestos that you plan to disturb.  A few examples where asbestos can be found are:
 
- Floor tile and linoleum
- Mastics used to attach mirrors paneling etc.
- Sprayed acoustic ceiling material and ceiling tiles
- Drywall texture and taping mud
- Transite panels (siding and roofing)
- Roofing materials
- Fireproofing on steel beams
- Thermal system insulation found on boilers,
   pipes and ducts.
 
 
When any of these materials are cut, broken, sanded or deteriorated, they release fibers into the air.  These microscopic fibers have very sharp edges and when breathed into the lungs, they continually irritate the soft tissues causing scarring and shortness of breath. If you are a smoker and come in contact with asbestos fibers, you double your risk of getting asbestosis, lung cancer or even mesothelioma.

Owners and managers of commercial buildings or public housing
should have any relative materials tested before remodeling or trying to repair damages.

For example
: You have a roof leak that has caused an area of sprayed acoustic ceiling material to delaminate. First you should call for emergency services from both a consulting firm and an abatement company. The abatement company will build a containment to secure the limited area in case the materials do contain asbestos.
This safeguards owner/manager liabilities and prevents contamination of other areas of the building, until the repairs can be made.  By no means should you try to clean up the area, it could cause further contamination, and if inhabited move the people out until it is safe to go back.

 


Lead Abatement


Lear Theater LEAR THEATER  
Reno, Nevada
During the past two renovations, Advance Installations was responsible for the safe removal of lead-based paint from this beautiful historic landmark.

Many houses and apartments built before 1978 have paint that contains lead. Lead from paint (chips and dust) can pose serious health hazards if not taken care of properly.
 
To know for certain if your house has lead based paint, you should have it tested by a licensed consultant. You can manage it in place even if it tests positive by washing active areas such as windows and doors that rub the painted surfaces when opened and closed. Painting over lead based paint that is in good condition will prolong the life of the surface by encapsulating the lead based paint.
 
If the paint is loose and peeling, you should call a licensed lead abatement contractor to remove the loose paint prior to the application of any new paint. As a trained lead abatement contractor, we are aware of the precautionary steps to take to protect you and our workers when removing the materials. If not handled properly it could make the problem worse through the spreading of dust to other areas. Exterior paint chips could have fallen in the dirt or shrubbery over the years and must be cleaned up. Our trained abatement crew knows where to locate chips and dust to make sure your job is 100 complete when they leave.
 
We have pamphlets available that offer more information on lead products, the hazards and health risks. Just give us a call at 1-800-431-8033 or call the National lead information center at 1-800-LEAD FYI
.
 

Remember to always look for trained, experienced professionals for your
own safety and the safety of those you love.

  
ADVANCE INSTALLATIONS CREWS ARE TRAINED, AND FEDERALLY CERTIFIED FOR LEAD ABATEMENT IN NEVADA AND DHS CERTIFIED FOR CALIFORNIA.

 

Microbial Remediation (Mold)


IS TOXIC MOLD INVADING YOUR LIVING SPACE?


This is a condition that should not be ignored,
as it poses health risks for you and
your loved ones.

 

Mold releases spores into the air you breathe, causing itchy watery eyes, coughing, difficulty breathing, dizziness, fatigue and loss of memory.
 

Mold Begins growing when water saturates building materials. A leak in the roof, plumbing problems, caulking missing around windows and doors allow rain and snow to penetrate the floor and wall system, improper ventilation that will cause condensation and moisture buildup are just a few of the many areas of concern.
 
Once the mold begins growing, it can travel throughout the building system, affecting walls ceilings and floors; contaminating insulation and even your heating and air conditioning system.
 
The first step is to identify the cause of the mold growth.  Starting from the root of the problem, we can remove and/or treat the contaminated materials until we find the end of the mold growth. All work is performed within a sealed containment to prevent the contamination of other areas in the building. Trained workers wearing respirators and full cover disposable suits perform the work.
 
It is vital that you ask for training credentials on the person or company that you call for the treatment of your mold problem. We have seen simple problems exaggerated because the companies didn’t know what they were doing. Obvious mistakes made were: not sealing off the work area, which spread the contamination; the source of the problem was not sought after so the problem recurred; workers performed without personal protection, all were signs that they were not trained professionals.
 

Remember to always look for trained, experienced professionals for your
own safety and the safety of those you love.  

 

FOR MORE INFORMATION CALL US AT 1-800-431-8033